- Polystyrene exhibits co-solvency with acetone and alkanes at room temperature. However, to find the correct composition, assume that we have used acetone: hexane solvent mixtures as 20:80, 50:50, and 80:20. An osmotic pressure technique was employed on these systems at room temperature (298K) and the data obtained was given below. The solvent (mixture) density varies as 0.666 g/cm3, 0.7057 g/cm3 and 0.8062 g/cm3 and for 20:80, 50:50, and 80:20 mixtures.
Concentration versus osmotic pressure data for polystyrene with different
ratios of solvent mixture
- Determine the molecular weight of the polymer and the second virial coefficient (A2) in each mixture of solvents. Assume that A3 and subsequent coefficients are negligible.
- Based on the obtained data, which solvent mixture is a good solvent for
- Looking at the molecular weights, A2 values, and osmotic data, are the obtained results reasonable? Justify your choice with proper reasoning.
- Are these ideal or non-ideal solutions? Explain.
Use the dataset of polystyrene provided in the table below and:
- Calculate molecular weight, A2, and radius of gyration of the polymer by preparing a Zimm plot.
- Explain the obtained data.
- What is the importance of extrapolation of data to small angles and zero
We will use a 660 nm wavelength light (l or l0) for this problem.
dn/dc = 0.10 mL/g
Rayleigh ratio for the solvent used: 1.207 x 10-3
Refractive index for the solvent: 1.4898.
K – optical constant (depends on the refractive index, no, of the pure solvent)
c or c2 – polymer concentration
k (used in the plot) – arbitrary mathematical constant added to provide spacing between
curves (no physical meaning). For consistency, let us take it as ‘75’ in this question.
R(q) or DR = Rayleigh’s ratio
q – scattering angle
Hire a Professional Essay & Assignment Writer for completing your Academic Assessments
Native Best Writers Team
- 100% Plagiarism-Free Essay
- Highest Satisfaction Rate
- Free Revision
- On-Time Delivery
Assignment status: Already Solved By Our Experts
(USA, AUS, UK & CA PhD. Writers)
QUALITY: 100% ORIGINAL PAPER – NO PLAGIARISM - CUSTOM PAPER
- 100% non-plagiarized Papers
- 24/7 /365 Service Available
- Affordable Prices
- Any Paper, Urgency, and Subject
- Will complete your papers in 6 hours
- On-time Delivery
- Money-back and Privacy guarantees
- Unlimited Amendments upon request
- Satisfaction guarantee
How It Works
- Click on the “Place Your Order” tab at the top menu or “Order Now” icon at the bottom and a new page will appear with an order form to be filled.
- Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER DETAILS" section.
- Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline, and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
- Click “CREATE ACCOUNT & SIGN IN” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record-keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
- From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.
AcademicWritersBay.com is an easy-to-use and reliable service that is ready to assist you with your papers 24/7/ 365days a year. 99% of our customers are happy with their papers. Our team is efficient and will always tackle your essay needs comprehensively assuring you of excellent results. Feel free to ask them anything concerning your essay demands or Order.
AcademicWritersBay.com is a private company that offers academic support and assistance to students at all levels. Our mission is to provide proficient and high quality academic services to our highly esteemed clients. AcademicWritersBay.com is equipped with competent and proficient writers to tackle all types of your academic needs, and provide you with excellent results. Most of our writers are holders of master's degrees or PhDs, which is an surety of excellent results to our clients. We provide assistance to students all over the world.
We provide high quality term papers, research papers, essays, proposals, theses and many others. At AcademicWritersBay.com, you can be sure of excellent grades in your assignments and final exams.